The architecture of Bozcaada wears traces of Turkish and Greek architectures.
Çınar Çarşı Street exists in the place of the stream which used to separate the town center between Turkish District and Greek District.
Island center now consists of two districts as Cumhuriyet (Greek) and Alaybey (Turk). There are buildings reflecting Greek architecture in Cumhuriyet District,
and the ones reflecting Turkish architecture in Alaybey District.
Although Greek and Turkish architecture have some common aspects there are differences in terms of function.
Buildings were made of wood and mainframe. There are basements in the Greek houses. Kitchen, bathroom, laundry are built there. Windows are high and wide and mostly with shutter.
Upper floors are wooden, colorful and with high windows.
The double-doors are also high and with windows.
In the Turkish district, some houses have balconies.
Many houses have side-buildings called "mall" with high walls.
These are the places where foods are stored as well as place for wine production and preservation.
In the Turkish District ground floors have higher and narrower windows.
The reason is that the ground floor was used as storeroom or "taşlık" (mill).
Generally, in the yard of the houses, there are kitchen and laundry rooms covered with clay roof.
The houses have wooden roofs, bathrooms are inside, and toilets are outside. Their roofs are with alaturca tiles and hedgehog roofing.
While the streets in the Greek District are generally structured with grid system, wide and cut one another vertically,
in the Turkish District streets are narrow and grift.
Public and religious buildings are also separated accordingly. Structures like churches and chapels are in Cumhuriyet District, the others which belong to Turkish culture
like mosques, Turkish bath, fountain are in Alabey District.
Settlements which are mainly in port area create a warm and sincere atmosphere with their narrow streets with cobblestones.
The vineyard houses outside of the city center were built for the needs of the people who used them to stay at vineyards during summer.
The rooms consist of a kitchen and bard. The two-folds are called "kule" (tower), the single-floors are called "dam" (roof).
All of them are stone buildings. Nowadays, some vineyard houses have the contemporary comfort.
Except the ones which maintain their previous function, some of them are used as summerhouses.
Bozcaada Museum is a perfect place for who wants to know more about the place he visits.
The museum which reveals the history of the island was established personally by M. Hakan Gürüney.
Bozcaada Museum, in its historical building, can be visited between April 23rd and September 30th, from 10am to 8pm.
For more information: www.bozcaadamuzesi.net, Phone: +90 532 215 60 33
Nobody knows who built the castle. It was built to protect the island exposed to many invasions, yet it is one of the best preserved castles of Turkey.
This castle, used by Phoenicians, Genoese and Venetians, was rebuilt on its remains in the time of Fatih the Conqueror (1455).
There are an ethnography exhibition established in the year 1996 by the help of islanders and an outdoor museum in the castle.
It consists of two parts as outside and inside. The castle is opened to visits between 10am and 8pm.
Köprülü Mehmet Paşa Mosque:
The mosque, thought to have been destroyed in the time of Venetians, was repaired by Köprülü Mehmet Paşa in 1655 and named after him.
Today it is called Yalı Mosque colloquially. There is not an epitaph of the mosque.
It gained the current shape with the restorations among the time. It has a hipped roof and square-like structure plan.
The doors and the window lines were made of red stones and the other parts are plastered. The mosque is opened to worship.
Mother Mary Church:
The church which belongs to the Greek Orthodox Community is the only church opened to worship.
The church, which other name is Teodoku Eastern Orthodox Church and on the door of which its construction date is written as 1869, is thought to be left from Venetians.
The bell tower in the yard was built in 1865 with four floor and 23.8m height and was restored in 2007.
The only opportunity to see the inside of the church is the mass of Sunday morning at 8am. The church is closed in other times.
The word Ayazma, from the Greek "hagiasme", means sacred water.
In many parts of Turkey this name is given to the places of natural water sources.
The ayazma of Bozcaada is on the south part of the island.
There is an historical bisulcate fountain, 8 old plane trees, a small church and two single-floored buildings. The monastery, belonging to the Greek Orthodox Community,
was built in the name of the Greek saint Aya Paraskevi. The monastery, built in 1734 by Manolaki Manolidis, is open to worship only in special occasions.
To sit resting to a tree across the wonderful view in front of the sea is a peaceful experience.
A legend says that who once drinks water from the fountain becomes an islander.
The magical atmosphere of Ayazma makes the place perfect for the special celebrations like weddings.